Facts

Population Estimate 6,920,000
Capital Hong Kong is a city of China PRC since July 1997. China 's capital city - Beijing ( Peking ) is about 2,000 kilometers (1,250 miles) further north.
People Chinese make up 95% of the population with the other groups floating at around 5%.Recently, the word 'Hongkongese' is also found and is getting more popular to describe the unique local culture of Hong Kong or to refer to Hongkongers.
Language English and Chinese are both official languages of Hong Kong under the Hong Kong Basic Law, with Cantonese being acknowledged as the official spoken variety of Chinese in Hong Kong, while also accepting the use of Mandarin.
Religion Religious freedom is one of the fundamental rights enjoyed by Hong Kong residents.
It is protected by Basic Law and the relevant legislation. The various religious traditions practised in Hong Kong are, among others, Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Sikhism and Judaism.

All of these traditions have a considerable number of followers.  Apart from offering religious instruction, many major religious bodies have established schools and provide health and welfare facilities.
Country Dialing Code + 852
Mobile Phone Hong Kong has adopted 2G - GSM and 3G
Time Zone GMT/UTC +8 (Greenwich Mean Time)
Currency Hong Kong Dollar (HK$). Notes are in denominations of HK$1000, 500, 100, 50, 20 and 10. Coins are in denominations of HK$10, 5, 2 and 1, and 50, 20 and 10 cents.
Electric Plug & voltage The electrical current in Hong Kong is 220 volts, 50 cycles alternating current (AC, 50HZ)
Emergency Contact(s) 999
Tipping 10% of service charge is usually applied for most of fine dining restaurants and the loose change is regarded as an extra return for outstanding services. Also, taxi drivers, bellboys and doormen are expecting for a small gratuity, but only comply with satisfied service.
Currency exchange Foreign currency can be changed in banks, hotels and bureaux de change. Banks usually offer the best rate of exchange.
Useful Telephone Numbers Citizen's Easy Link (24-hour): 1823
GovHK Help Desk: 183 5500
Emergency Services (Police, Fire and Ambulance) :999
Hong Kong Tourism Board- visitor hotline : 2508 1234
Collect calls : 10010
Telephone directory service : 1081
IDD and cardphone enquries : 10013
Weather : 1878066
Immigration Department (24hr) : 2824 6111